The long-term goal of the lab is to elucidate the cellular and molecular basis governing the formation, maintenance and function of neural circuits under physiological and pathological conditions, using both Drosophila and mammalian models.
With a background in neural development, neural circuits and behavior, fly and mouse genetics, injury and neurodegeneration models, our lab offers a unique skillset.
Before the birth of the Song Lab
Regulation of axon regeneration by the RNA repair/splicing pathway
Song Y, Sretavan D, Salegio EA, Berg J, Huang X, Cheng T, Meltzer S, Han C, Nguyen T, Bresnahan JC, Beattie MS, Jan LY, and Jan YN (2015). Nature Neuroscience 18(6): 817-25.
Highlighted in Nature (2015) A way to regrow nerve fibres
Highlighted in Nature Reviews Neuroscience (2015) Splicing up repair mechanisms
A naturally-monomeric infrared fluorescent protein for protein labeling in vivo
Yu D, Baird MA, Allen JR, Howe ES, Klassen MP, Reade A, Makhijani K, Song Y, Lin S, Murthy Z, Zhang S, Weiner OD, Kornberg TB, Jan YN, Davidson MW, Shu X (2015). Nature Methods 12: 763–765.
Dendritic fragmentation and clearance by phagocytic epidermal cells in Drosophila dendrite pruning and dendrite injury
Han C*, Song Y*, Xiao H, Wang D, Franc N, Jan LY, Jan YN (2014). Neuron 5;81(3): 544-60 (*Co-first author).
Highlighted in Nature Reviews Neuroscience (2014) Epidermal cells eat up dendrites
- May 19 2017: Leann and Ernest successfully defended their prelim. Well done!
- May 17th 2017: Carolyn Chow (BBB @ Penn) joins the lab for her undergraduate research. Welcome, Carolyn!
- December 27th 2016: Thank CHOP Pilot Grant for the generous support!
- December 6th 2016: Leann officially joined the lab for her graduate thesis research!
- December 5th 2016: Dr. Feng Li officially starts in the lab. Welcome, Feng!
- November 25th 2016: Dr. Ang Li, faculty from Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Institute of CNS Regeneration (GHMICR), Jinan University, China, is visiting us. Welcome, Ang!
- November 23rd 2016: Pavithran Guttipatti (Biochemistry @ Penn) joins the lab for his undergraduate research. Welcome, Pavi!
- October 17th 2016: Leann Miles (BMB @ Penn) starts her rotation in the lab. Welcome!
- September 6th 2016: Dr. Dan Li officially start in the lab. Welcome!
- September 1st 2016: Ernest officially joined the lab for his graduate thesis research!
- August 15th 2016: Emily and Jessica officially start today!
- August 1st 2016: Dr. Dan Li is joining the lab in August. Welcome, Dan!
- July 30th 2016: Emily Lo (Bioengineering @ Temple) will be joining the lab for her graduate thesis in August. Welcome, Emily!
- July 29th 2016: Jessica Goldshteyn will be joining the lab in August. Welcome onboard, Jessica!
- July 28th 2016: Our two photon/confocal system is finally up and running!
- July 11th 2016: Welcome Ernest Monahan (CAMB @ Penn) for the rotation, the first lab member of the Song Lab!
- July 1st 2016: Thank Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Research Center (IDDRC) at CHOP and Penn for their generous support!
- June 27th 2016: First animal protocol approved!
- May 2nd 2016: The Song Lab is officially launched!